Monday, March 31, 2008

Spring?

This Shouter Baptist Liberation weekend Casa Coffeewallah underwent a small frenzy of "spring" cleaning. Now what is with that spring, summer thing? A store clerk on Saturday mentioned that I should come back next week because they were getting in their spring/summer line. Eh? Clearly delusional but say what, at least he was pleasant unlike the surly behaviour that we've become accustomed to from store clerks.

Anyway, I got home from the whiz around Port of Spain and decided to do something about my house which was in grave danger of degenerating again. It's dry season people, it gets dusty, full of leaves and other stuff blown in by the wind. I am easily seduced by the lure of bed and book in the fleeting hours I spend here. Dog is an enabler, he demands to be played with at the expense of cleaning. I will admit that I am fed up of the tired paint, the icky carpet (the bane of my existence!) and other sundry household trials but I could at least do something.

At the moment there three bags full of stuff sitting outside on the wall with another two to go out. Five bags full of clothes await delivery to some person in need. Surfaces have been dusted, furniture moved around to make it more pleasing. In short I've done most that I could without painting and outlaying on new, much needed furniture. And I'm happier about it. There is something eminently satisfying about doing physical work until your arms are tired. You feel like you have accomplished something, even if it is only conquering that Mt. Everest of laundry. Every time I pass by the bathroom door I smell the soap that Adele gave me as a Christmas present but I am loath to use because it smells so good! What if I can't get anymore!

In the living room, the curtains are fluttering in the post rain breeze and my bed is emitting it's siren call from the blue room. Outside there is little street traffic....my book awaits.

No comments: