Thursday, March 13, 2008

Night off

Jane Austen wrote, "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." Well that may or may not hold true today but I still think it's a damn good opening line. I don't really know any single men of fortune so inquires are on hold until I find one. Last evening I was fortunate enough to spend some time having dinner with a friend whom I sometimes work with. He's a pretty intelligent dude and we're in the same business so we talk shop or not as the case might be when he's in town.

I'm a little envious because he's done what I can only dream about. He's published three novels and is working on a fourth, they're psychological thrillers, quite dark. We have a good natter when we get together, last night we discovered that we like Nevil Shute novels. They're largely out of print but a good read, if somewhat dry. Do you know how fabulous it was to sit around and talk books, drink wine and just enjoy the lime without the hassle? It was a good night, I had fun and went home to dog and grouch. All that communing made me realise how much I miss that sort of contact.

No comments: