Monday, March 10, 2008

Good humour

E-mail forwards, what did we do before we had unlimited access to people and all we had to do was type a bunch of addresses into the To: line? I'll tell you what, nothing. Unless you were one of those annoying people who painstakingly copied stuff and them put it in an envelope and mailed it to everyone you knew. Now, it seems every time I go to my &%%$£* mailbox there are ten legitimate work e-mails, four messages from friends making sure I'm still alive and a hundred ****** forwards touting everything from how bad soya is for you to huge power point things that piss the IT department off.

Okay, I'm as guilty as anybody else of forwarding "forwards". Some of them are kind of cute, like the one with the pictures of men as bon bons...and thank you friend who shall remain nameless for that one, it certainly made my day! But that aside, I get a trifle tetchy at the religious ones, the chain letters tick me off - why should I bombard everyone else with spam spreading bad luck. Most of us can do that all by ourselves without help. The aforementioned IT department is constantly sending us e-mails begging that we utilise our work mail for work. And yes, some people copy my private e-mail as well so I get it in both places. Thanks. Just what I need. Two loads of spam.

Then I get a gem that makes me smile and grudgingly admit that not all forwards are bad. Like the one sent a week ago, the title line was, "As I mature". For a moment my finger hovered over the delete key. I really could not stand the thought of yet another soppy Maya Angelou words of wisdom yadda, yadda. But this one redeemed itself. There were lots of pearls of wisdom in there but these two are my favourite (this week):

" I've learned that no matter how much I care, some people are just assholes"
" I've learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others -they are more screwed up than you think".

Oh yes, for those of you avidly following the great weight loss, diva body thing...ack, ack, gah! This was much easier when I was 28! Do you know how hard it is to get fat to go away when it has firmly cemented to your upper thighs and lower stomach? BLOODY HARD! I'm getting my money's worth out of the elliptical walker but it sure ain't pretty. And if one more person mentions cake, that would be Muse and Blue, I will come over there and...leave the rest to your imagination.

5 comments:

GirlBlue said...

You would come over and share with us? *looks innocent*

I'll stop mentioning cake the moment you stop talking about shoes

Andreamuse said...

I have a friend who sends me millions of those forwards.

I am so with you on the weight thing. Geesh, is it necessary to just live on veggies the rest of our lives to avoid ballooning?

Coffeewallah said...

Ever notice how all those skinny chicks are always unhappy? I say let them eat cake!

Coffeewallah said...

By the way, I have declared a shoe moratorium!

GirlBlue said...

I second that (e)motion