Friday, April 4, 2008

Rainy days and Mondays

It was Karen Carpenter I think who sang about rainy days and Mondays always making her feel sad. I suspect she had a lot of things on her mind making her sad. It is awful to think that in her world of plenty, she starved herself to death because she had some misguided sense of beauty. It's really frightening how many women are uncomfortable with their body image and make themselves miserable to live up to some impossible "ideal".

We deprive ourselves of enjoyment, we make ourselves ill all for what. Some f***** up barometer that has nothing to do with making women feel better about themselves but has everything to do with selling a product. Have you ever noticed cosmetic ads? Some "beauty" is touting that a lipstick or cover up that hides the little imperfections. Dammit, I'm old enough to have laugh lines around my eyes, I've earned the right!

People can only make you feel bad if you let them. So don't. My friend Shirley made me feel really good today. She hasn't seen me in nigh on twenty years but paid me a great compliment. Thanks Sweetie, you made my day! And for that I'm off with two gents to have drinks this afternoon....

2 comments:

Andreamuse said...

yeah! Totally agree! Real beauty is in the attitude.

Gabriela said...

I agree too.
People, especially women, listen too much what others have to say about them. I guess you have to love yourself, put yourself always in the first place of everything, in order to avoid being influenced by ads, or third parties opinion or whatever.