Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Give us a break!

I promised myself that I would not make any comments on the political campaigning taking place here but being subjected to the 3 Canal song, “Good Morning” every bloody morning and night has caused me to revisit that promise. First off, I like 3 Canal; I always have and it has little to do with the “curb appeal” of Wendell Manwarren, their vibes just plain nice. “Blue” still conjures up immediate images of an extremely cold Carib being consumed at four o’clock Jouvay morning next to the weird Italian marble sculpture up by Queen’s Hall while being slathered in blue paint by the divine looking ras’ Colin. Ah, the memories…but I digress.

The problem is not the song, it’s a nice song, with lots of positive vibes but after hearing it for the four hundreth time it's appeal wears a trifle, never mind the cynical use by a political party to make one feel all warm and cozy towards them before the now daily onslaught. Understand me clearly, besides the fact that you’re not my neighbour, I haven’t seen any of you in the six years that I’ve lived here; I’m trying to snatch those few elusive minutes of peace before I tackle the traffic, bad drivers, etc. Yes, I know, I should be up and out of bed, scrambling to get dressed and off to my wage slave stint but can I at least choose what I want to listen to while I eat my wheaties. Isn’t it bad enough that I can no longer listen to the radio or watch local television because of you.

What is it with politicians? True we might all be deaf from your loud campaigning but that’s no reason to shout at folks at your political meetings. That thing in front of your face on the metal stand, it’s a microphone, it is used to amplify the sound…we can unfortunately hear you miles away, it just sounds worse with you yelling. Frankly people, who writes your jingles and adverts? I have no desire to “step out with Patrick”, or “feel the vibrations with Winston”, you have wives to fit that bill! I don't pay any attention to the other irritating party music from the red bereted man either. Oh yes, I didn’t like Iwer George’s song at Carnival, what makes anyone think that in the ensuing time I would have changed my mind even if he hadn’t changed the lyrics to exhort me to cast my vote for ……. Ditto Akon. And for that matter, what’s wrong with using standard English?

Here’s a novel idea guys, why don’t you assume we all have brains, focus on the issues and tell us exactly how you’re going to deal with them. Think of the example you’re setting by being nasty to your fellow man. I’m sure your parents taught you better than that and if not, ask yourself, why anybody would want someone with no “home training” to represent them. So I’ll thank you all not to insult my intelligence any further with your puerile ranting, disturb my precious sleep time with your noise polluting PA systems and for God’s sake, do not expect me to drop my life and run to the gate to shake your hand. But I do give points to any candidate that avoids falling into the pot hole in the road outside my gate or brave enough to chance the swirling flood waters that we’ve been treated to every time it rains.

2 comments:

Viekevie said...

Nobody else but COP showed up for the debate St Anns residents organised and there was no posse from Belmont.

What few Belmont crew was there sat grumbling that these people don't see them as people.

PNM and UNC candidates did not show up.

They don't want to deal with the issues.

And we don't want to talk to each other.

Viekevie said...

PS

UNC has the best song in my opinion.