Monday, June 16, 2008

In Laws and Out Laws

Unaccustomed to walking around Port of Spain in flat shoes given that the habitual wear is four inch stilts, I almost walked straight into an ex-in-law while stumbling around Maraj & Sons. It's always a pleasure to see R. and his wife, this time he was on his own buying her an anniversary present. Eighteen years! God, I remember when he met her, his mother was so excited, she badly wanted them to get married which they did after a really long courtship.

Some people might think it funny, but I get along well with most of my ex-in-laws, at least the one's I still see from time to time. Why not, I've known a lot of them for most of my life. My former husband and his immediate family no longer reside here, there's not been a lot of contact since he left. Imagine my surprise when a card arrived via Granny's house around my last birthday. I've been walking around with it trying to process how I feel. My mother in law had sent it, yes, she's still my mother in law even though I've been divorced for almost ten years. Strange how you fall in when faced with the familiar. As my marriage had degenerated we'd not been on the best of terms, we managed to patch things up several years after, but only after I'd cut off contact for a while. I needed to find out who I was.

In the ensuing years I've become a different person. I don't know what it all means but the journey is what's important, not the destination. Regrets? Nope.

4 comments:

Angie said...

wow... i didnt knw u went tru so much...

GirlBlue said...

Its all part of the plan, experience, live, hurt, grow stronger

Coffeewallah said...

Live, love, laugh - life at it's best

GirlBlue said...

I was acutually thinking of having that tattooed on me...erm...somewhere