Monday, June 16, 2008

Fear of Friday?

"The Christian Tradition
The fear of Friday the 13th stems from two separate fears -- the fear of the number 13 and the fear of Fridays. Both fears have deep roots in Western culture, most notably in Christian theology.
Thirteen is significant to Christians because it is the number of people who were present at the Last Supper (Jesus and his 12 apostles). Judas, the apostle who betrayed Jesus, was the 13th member of the party to arrive.

Christians have traditionally been wary of Fridays because Jesus was crucified on a Friday. Additionally, some theologians hold that Adam and Eve ate from the forbidden fruit on a Friday, and that the Great Flood began on a Friday. In the past, many Christians would never begin any new project or trip on a Friday, fearing they would be doomed from the start."

This according to "HowStuffWorks". Black Friday or Friday the 13th has long been held as a day that bad things happen. You know how it happens, if you anticipate bad things, they will happen. The more negative you are, the more negative things become etc. I had cause to reflect on the whole black friday thing this weekend. I got married on Friday 13th December, it seemed a good idea at the time. We laughed in the face of superstition all the while calling our marriage a black deal, kowtowing as we were to convention. Goodness knows the two of us were anything but conventional, in hindsight, it was no wonder it didn't work. Not because of the whole superstition thing, we started off resentful, how could it not go downhill despite that we did actually love each other for a time. That was then.

This last Friday gave me pause, I had to reassess things. The date never occurred to me until the next day. I've had my own battles but should I give up and let life get the better of me. The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind. So one moment at a time, little things to make me laugh, good friends to shove me along - I know it's cliched, he who fight and run away, live to fight another day.

No comments: