Friday, December 28, 2007

Auld Lang Syne

As a child I always wondered what that meant....I'm still not sure but it's one of those traditions that have stuck. The talk in my office is always good and today has been no exception. We're a committed bunch of people, or maybe that should read a bunch of people who should be committed, either way it works. I have two graphic designers working in the department, both are great guys. They keep me on my toes because they continually challenge me to keep thinking, inside/outside/upside etc, the box. The senior guy in particular pushes me all the time, I'm glad he does because that's what makes me tick.

What does any of this have to do with the title line you might wonder. All week long we've talked about our traditions, it makes me realise how much I miss some things and others not at all. Talking to these people in my department, some of whom I've known for a long time and others who've just come along I am struck by how much it can be like family in a way. Some of them you like more than others but basically you all have to get along so you find ways to make it work. Not everyone has the same traditions but we can still share.

As the old year fades and becomes new again I'm wondering what is coming. Whatever it is, I'm sure we'll all tackle it with our usual equanimity and style or something like that. The philosopher Basho said, " every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home".

1 comment:

Wuzdescene said...

auld lang syne ..... means .... 'The good old days'